Sunday, January 25, 2009

Something Different: Tuna Quiche


Everyone has heard of a quiche lorraine. But have you ever heard of a tuna quiche? In France, we conjugate quiches in many flavors: with goat cheese, leeks, salmon, zucchini... 

Quiche lorraine (along with pizza) is a classic of many catering events in France. We serve them for cocktails or aperitifs for weddings, gatherings, and celebrations. It's very common to just order them from your favorite baker, who usually cuts them in 2 inch squares (easy finger food). That's what Juan and I did for the day following our wedding in France. Most of our friends and families from all over the world were still around, so my parents organized a low-key buffet-type get together in their backyard; the menu included wood-fire quiches (of course), pizzas, onion tarts, cheese tarts and sugar tarts. Have a big bowl of fresh lettuce and vinaigrette ready, wine, Badoit and Perrier (at least in my family) - and you have a party! 

Quiche lorraine definitely is the star but I think most French familes have at least one other quiche recipe that they keep on hand. My Mom's is a leek and blue cheese quiche, which I must share with you one day - it's fantastic. This tuna quiche inspiration comes from my aunt, Brigitte. The first time she served it, I was skeptical as to how tuna would taste in a quiche, but all I needed was one bite and I was hooked!

My aunt's recipe included green olives and cheese (which is wonderful), but for mine I chose to add a hint of lemon and chives, which lightly flavors the quiche and goes so well with the tuna.


I made my own pie crust this time, but I typically buy ready-made ones. Let's be honest, it's convenient and there's no shame in taking some shortcuts. 

I would suggest to completely let the quiche cool down before serving. It pairs wonderfully well with a simple green salad or with a dollop of savory lemon whipped cream (a squeeze of lemon juice can work too). All you need to do is beat 1/2 cup of very cold whipping cream (don't forget to keep the beaters and metal bowl cold too), 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper until you have soft peaks. Then stir in 1 tsp of lemon juice. 

Tuna Quiche (serves 8)

1 store bought pie dough or your favorite pie dough recipe 
3 eggs
1 cup of heavy cream
1/4 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp of fresh ground pepper
1 tbsp of chopped fresh chives
1/4 tsp of dried thyme (optional)
1 tsp of fresh lemon juice
1 tsp of Dijon mustard
1 cup of shredded gruyere or cheddar cheese
2 cans of tuna

Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees. Roll out the dough (thin so it cooks through but not too much) and fit into a fluted tart pan (mine has a removable bottom, which is very convenient). Trim the edges.

In a bowl, beat the eggs and the cream. Combine the salt, pepper, chives, dried thyme, lemon juice and mustard. Add the cheese and the tuna and pour into the crust and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until the top of the quiche is golden brown. 

Allow to cool completely before serving. 



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious and simple! Love it!

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't have thought to try tuna quiche, but it looks really tasty!

Kelsey said...

I will definitely have to try this one!

Unknown said...

Your recipe sounds good, but could you please also post your aunt's (green olive) recipe? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Laetitia, do you use oil-packed or water-packed tuna? I used to make tuna pizza when I was young. I should do it again!
Sylvie
http://www.LaughingDuckGardens.com/ldblog.php/

Laetitia said...

Hey Sylvie, comment ca va? I use water packed tuna. Voila!